Wednesday 30 November 2016

Flamingo Rock - Atlantes de Tula (1982)


The one and only album from this Mexican band.

I know next to nothing about this band. But the lineup sounds like guitars, harmonicas, bass, drums, flutes, sax, keyboards and Spanish vocals. Both male and female vocals.

The album was released in 1982. The music says 1966-70 to me.

The reason is that this thirty-five minutes long album sounds like a 1980s or late 1970s album at all. The music is totally different.

Take a big slize of hippie flower power, add some California dreaming kind of music, Beach Boys and Jefferson Airplane. Also add some krautrock and middle of the road pop music from the early 1970s. You also need to add Latin America and it's culture. On the top of that, add some sparse sprinklings of symphonic prog. And some James Last too.

This album remains undiscovered and very obscure for a good reason. Most of this album is keyboards driven muzak. And it is mostly sickly sweet music too.

I am not big fan of overdosing on sugar. I am not a big fan of sugar at all. Neither do I like mountains of sweets. That is what I get here. The sweets is not that good either so I am not won over.

This album is simply a turkey as good as you get a turkey from Mexico. And this album is best kept obscure.

1 point


No comments:

Post a Comment