Saturday 8 November 2014

Messaggio 73 - Una Ragione Per Vivere (1976)


The one and only album from this Italian band.

Italy had a pretty big Christian rock scene in the 1970s. A scene affiliated with the very popular Italian prog rock scene. Both then and now. 

This thirty-five minutes long album has Christian lyrics in Italian. Hence, these lyrics does not reach me as I do not speak Italian. They hit stony ground. The music is a mix of Italian prog and psychedelic rock. 

The music is, as with all other Italian Christian rock, very much sugar sweet. The rest of the Italian scene use light and dark, sun and shadows in their music. The Christian scene and this band only use light and sun. This means a very important dimension has been omitted from the music. This album has an overdose of angels and goody goody things. Their version of Samuel Barber's Adagio is a good example of that. Sugar sweet, it is. It is for this reason I don't like Christian rock that much. It gives me sugar overload and nothing much else. I like both night and day. In particular in my music.

There is no real good music on this album either. It feels cheap and boring. It feels a bit plastic fantastic. Hence my verdict.

2 points 

No comments:

Post a Comment