Sunday 10 January 2016

Roolaart. Anton - The Plight of Lady Oona (2014)


The second album from this US artist.

This album was released seven years after his debut album Dreamer. An album I have not sunk my teeth into yet.

This is very much a solo album where Anton plays guitars, bass, keyboards, drum programming and also does the vocals. He has got help from five other musicians too. Most notably the queen of female vocals; Annie Haslam. She does a wonderful job on the title track.

The music is elegant symphonic prog. It has a dreamy atmosphere and ambience. It still got proper songs and melodies.

This album is a typically symphonic prog solo album too. As I said; elegant and nice. There is not a lot of technical show offs here. This is not King Crimson territory, let me put it like that.

I am by no means a fan of solo albums in the symphonic prog genre. But Anton Roolart has gone a long way to change my opinions here. There are no great tracks on this forty-five minutes long album. The fourteen minutes long title track with Annie Haslam's vocals and strong melody lines are..... well, it is a great track. The opening track Gravity is a very good track. The four other tracks is not of the same standard, though.

Nevertheless, this is a very good album which should appeal to anyone into progressive rock. I am very happy with it.

3.5 points



No comments:

Post a Comment