Tuesday 1 July 2014

Prowlers - Mondi Nuovi (2014)



The fifth album from this Italian bands who includes Alfio Costa (various bands) on keyboards.

His kind of bands are pretty avant garde and symphonic prog. Hence I thought I had a pretty epic symphonic prog album here in my hand. I was in for a surprise.

The music on this album is no less than female vocals fronted music. The vocalist is Laura Mombrini and she does a good job. Her Italian vocals is pretty dominating though. The music here has it's roots in Italian symphonic prog. Very much so. You get a somewhat blend of folk rock, some hard rock and some symph prog.

Then we get something else again..... Well, female vocals kind of gothic rock, contemporary rock..... I do not really know. The whole thing reminds me a lot about the English female vocals fronted scene and sound. Remove the keltic sound, add a large chunk of Italy and you get something like this. Sprinkle some jazz on the top and the dish is ready to be served.

The sound is very contemporary and based on a mix of keyboards and guitars. Add bass, mellotron, piano, moog and drums to the mixture too. Unfortunate, the songs are not particular great here. In my views, the album is too vocals focused and not enough music focused. I am not a great fan of vocals focused music and does not really find this album to my liking. This is nevertheless a good album and well worth checking out.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment