Monday 7 July 2014

Pangaea - Welcome to the Theatre... (1998)



The fourth album from this US band.

Neo-prog is the dish of the day. Nice to have a lot of choose between and a lot of bands who does not even faintly rings a bell in my head. I did not even know about this band until I got this album. But they released four studio albums between 1995 and 2002. All of them with shoddy artwork where all expenses has been spared. Ten dollars worth of artwork, it is.

The music is not particular original either. Take Pendragon and add some generic English neo-prog bands in the more poppy rock vein and you get this album. The sound is the plastic fantastic 1980s sound with some infusion of the 1990s sound. The lineup is the usual vocals, keyboards, guitars, bass and drums.

The music is at the commercial rock end of the neo-prog spectrum and it is pretty light on details and substance. This is fifty-three minutes of pretty dire neo-prog and one I would like to avoid if I was you. Obviously, I did not as I fell for the neo-prog tag attached to the CD. But you are now warned. This is almost a turkey, flapping around without getting off the ground.

1.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment