Saturday 31 May 2014

New Trolls - Concerto Grosso, The Seven Seasons (2007)



The seventeenth album from New Trolls.

This Italian band has always been close to make a full classical music piece. Their Concerto series is a proof of that. Well, they finally made it after some very poor albums in the 1980s and 1990s.

The opening here sets the stalls out on the market square. Classical music. Some vocals and guitars joins the party after a while. Then we get a mix of classical and rock music throughout this one hour long album.

I am not a fan of this grandeur of delusions some rock acts gets when they want to make classical music and operas. That often combined with rock too. I don't rate Deep Purple's classical concerto album. Neither am I any fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The only crossover album I like is actually this one. OK, there is some cheesy, cringe worthy moments on this album. But most of this album actually good to very good. A killer melody is missing and hence my reserved three pointer. But the overall quality is good and I would almost recommend this album. It is that good. Check it out.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment