Tuesday 5 August 2014

Moongarden - RoundMidnight (2003)



The fourth album from this Italian band.

Moongarden is listed as a symphonic prog band in ProgArchives. That is not Italian symphonic prog, but symphonic prog in the English scene version of this term. I agree with this definition. Moongarden and indeed this album has far more in common with the English and Scandinavian scene than the Italian scene.

I am not sure if this is a symphonic prog album either. I am more leaning towards neo prog in regards to this album. There are a few mellotron melody lines on this album. It is a lot more English vocals, keyboards, guitars, drums and bass though. The sound is the typical neo prog sound with the exception of the occasional mellotrons.

The title track is a very good track and as it is the first track on this album, it promises a lot for the rest of the album. Promises not exactly fulfilled as the album is starting to get pretty pedestrian on the remaining songs. The songs here are not exactly sparkling great songs. Nevertheless; this is still a good album from a band I have heard a lot of positive things about but not had the chance to sample myself before I got this album. I will get their latest album too and review it here.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment