Monday 20 February 2012

Machine Mass Trio - As Real As Thinking (2012)



The new project  by Michel Delville (Doubt + many other projects) takes us into his usual world of dense jazz.

Michel is a superb guitarist who uses the plank to create sounds than really playing it in the traditional sense. He rarely breaks into traditional solos and riff-o-ramas. Not on this album where his guitar is used to lay down heavy industrial landscapes. The woodwinds is used in a much more traditional jazz settings.

That very much describes this album. Michel Delville's industrial landscapes meets traditional jazz and avant garde jazz. I guess that is what differenciates this project from his other projects.

The musicianship is excellent. The same goes for the sound.

I am by no means a jazz expert. I am just dipping my toes into jazz now and then. But I am being drawn more and more towards jazz, I have to admit. And I like this album. It is good at times. But I like the more traditional jazz melodies instead of the industrial landscapes where my attention drops off and I get a bit bored with the album. But this is by all means a good album, although not a traditional jazz album. It straddles both avant garde and jazz. It is a good album for those who seeks adventures in a musical landscape.

3.25 stars

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review! I wish I was able to say things in as few words as you do... Anyway, who would have ever guessed that you are a Mayhem fan :P?

    ReplyDelete