Wednesday 26 February 2014

Phileas Fogg - Coma Depasse (1986)



The first and only album from this French band.

Phileas Fogg was a French fusion combo with a female vocalist. Their music was made by keyboards, guitars, congas, percussions, drums, bass and female vocals. The music is in the light jazz/fusion genre with some pop music like vocals. Isabelle Sobkowiak is her name. Very light, thin vocals which suits this music.

This forty minutes long album is filled with long solos and intricate details. The music is pretty technical and intricate. The music is also borderline Canterbury and I have seen the Belgium band Cos has been named as a comparison. I have yet to dig out my Cos albums yet so I don't know. The music is also pretty proggy with a lot of eclectic prog influences. Picchio Dal Pozzo also springs to mind here.

The result is a very good album which is sadly forgotten. In my view, that is a tragedy as this album would enhance any fusion and Canterbury prog collection. My only gripe is the lack of any great songs here. That is my only gripe. Maybe a re-release is in order of this album. I will tip of the right record labels.

3.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment