Thursday 14 February 2013

Jet Jaguar - Space Anthem (2007)



A compilation album with 2002-2004 recordings from this obscure US band which is said to be one of the best space rock bands on this planet. I have my doubts.

We are deep into space rock here. Jet Jaguar is one of the many bands who are greatly inspired by Hawkwind and sounds like them too. This is not my home territory so I have to declare some ignorance here.

This album contains seventy-five minutes of the usual distorted vocals over some spacy pop music, long spaced out excursions into outer space and some listener-nodding-off avant garde sound collages. Despite of being a compilation of several recordings, the sound is pretty same throughout. The songs are also pretty same soundings too and there is not much variations over this space rock theme. In short; this album would appeal to the hard core space cadets, but not to many others.

The quality is somewhere between decent and good. I find this album pretty dull. A good space rock album should have a firm bite and large teeth. This album does not. Seventy-five minutes with this music is far too long for my liking. Some of the songs are good and hence my verdict. This album was released by Black Widow Records as a limited edition and I think that was a smart move as this album has no mass appeal.

2.5 points 

No comments:

Post a Comment