Thursday 1 May 2014

Tai Shan - Lost Horizon (2011)



The debut album from this Finnish band.

Tai Shan is a new name to me and they are listed as a crossover band in ProgArchives. That got my interest. That and their new album Iceflower which I got sent to me. Hence this review and the review of Iceflower too.

I am not so sure if crossover is the right label for Lost Horizon though. They are veering into Canterbury prog a lot on this album. That and jazz. The music is performed with slide guitars, keyboards, electric guitars, bass, drums and no vocals. The instrumental music here is pretty light and easy accessible. Most of the forty five minutes here is both a bit dynamic and shopping mall friendly. In other words; it can be played over the PA system in a shopping mall without scaring away the average toilet roll & broccoli shoppers. That is not a my kind of music. I want some more meat than that.

When that is said, this is a good album with some very good melody lines too. When that is said, this album is a bit too bland for my liking. A weak 3 points is awarded. I hope their 2013 album is better than this.

3 points

 

No comments:

Post a Comment